Friday, August 28, 2026

Meeker Prep in Buffalo


There was so much more to our Buffalo visit.  The dogs and I had great experiences working sheep with good friends Linda Lulias and Wendy Auzqui!  Linda lives just 10 minutes outside of town, and we were able to do some arena work as well as some short outruns at her place. Here are a couple of shots of Linda working stock.

Linda's good dogs, Roxie and Jessi, have competed in a number of trials, and Linda and I enjoy comparing notes and giving each other feedback on our runs.  





Another good friend I always enjoy working with in the area is Wendy Auzqui.  I first met Wendy in August of 2015 when we were staying in nearby Sheridan.  I had been taking herding lessons with my border collie, Rue, prior to leaving Texas, but had not had a chance to work her while we were on the road.  I contacted the Wyoming Stock Dog Association, and they gave me Wendy’s name.  She and her husband, John, ranch east of Sheridan in Clearmont, Wyoming, and Wendy is well-known for her skill in training and working with border collies as well as being quite a cowgirl.  Before she began training herding dogs, she broke colts, but says that dogs are more fun.  She and her husband also we quite a team-roping partnership.


Wendy knows me and my dogs well.  She is insightful, and understands both border collies and people.  Wendy has been such a positive influence in my growth as a handler.  She has helped me with Rue and Bo, and was instrumental in bringing my good dog, Cody, into the Bagley Pack.  Since then, she has helped me with Dutch and Meg, who this trip on preparing for the upcoming Meeker Sheep Dog Trial in September.  Wendy and I, and hopefully Linda, will all be competing at Meeker this year, so we can cheer each other on.


Meeker is a long, difficult course, so Wendy and I challenged Dutch and Meg to rough terrain and crafty Wyoming range ewes.  Here are some photos from our sessions.  Thanks, Wendy, for the opportunity to work with you and for all the videos! 


We were working with about 40 Wyoming range ewes.  Dutch drove them across the flat and up behind a hill for Meg to find and fetch.  

The sheep are hiding behind the hill some 500-600 yards away

Meg is the small, black dot going over the top of the hill


And down came the sheep

Dutch showed no hesitation in crossing Clear Creek to find his sheep


He brought them across the creek and up the bank with no hesitation


Dutch had some challenging gathers along Clear Creek.  This one was particularly difficult because he couldn't see the sheep, and had to navigate the steep creek banks to find and fetch them.  But he did a great job and I was proud of him.


I also took the opportunity to have Wendy take a look at my two seven-month-old pups, Tess and Bit.  Each had a few minutes in Wendy's round pen with some Wyoming range ewes.  Both were quite "keen" and wasted no time getting acquainted with the sheep under Wendy's careful supervision.  




It was a great couple of weeks doing what I like best.





















No comments:

Post a Comment