Sunday, January 22, 2017

Goodbye Rudy

This weekend we said goodbye to an auxiliary member of the Bagley Pack.  Rudy was an accomplished hunting dog and beloved companion of Joel and Anna McElhany, and their children, Jamey and Laura.  He was with his family for sixteen wonderful years.




Rudy was a frequent visitor at the farm, and until he slowed down in his later years, he ran with the Pack and explored every corner of our 225 acres.  He is shown here on the left in a photo taken several years ago with Kota, Lucky Dog, Nickie, Louie and Molly.



Rudy was a free spirit, and followed his nose on many adventures.  He sometimes went “off the reservation” with Cousin Molly in search of a rabbit, deer, or other game that had escaped beyond our fences.  I think the two of them were once recovered more than two miles away when a neighbor corralled them along one of the county roads and called to report them found.

If there is a flaw in God’s plan, it may be that our dogs don’t have as many years as we do.  It’s hard to let them go, but maybe their lives are shorter for a reason.  When we lost our Nickie several years ago, a friend sent me a copy of the following:

“It came to me that every time I lose a dog, they take a piece of my heart with them, and every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart.  If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are.”    Anonymous 



Maybe this is just God's way of making sure we have plenty of opportunities to enjoy that special relationship we have with our loyal companions.  We will miss Sweet Rudy.  If we become as generous and loving as he was, we will all certainly be better people.




  




No comments:

Post a Comment