Monday, March 26, 2018

A Bird in the Bush

When we were at the farm last weekend, I picked up my camera and long lens and set out in hopes of capturing of one of spring’s most iconic and elusive images…the golden-cheeked warbler.  Each year in mid- to late-march, our warblers return to their home on the north side of our juniper and oak-covered “mountain,” after spending the winter in Mexico and Central America.  

These tiny (4 1/2 - 5 inches long), colorful birds are very special to us here in Central Texas, because they nest nowhere else in the world.  Their range and total population are small, and they are listed as endangered.  In the wild, they can be hard to spot because of their size as well as their rapid movements, not to mention that they require a very specific habitat and you have to go where they are.  Golden-cheeked warblers breed primarily on north-facing hillsides and slopes in woods of mature Ashe juniper (we call them cedars) interspersed with deciduous trees such as oak, walnut, pecan and hackberry.  We are truly blessed because the eastern side of our property is ideal golden-cheeked habitat.

These diminutive warblers are called “faithful to site” in that they return to the previous year’s breeding territory.  For a few weeks each March and April, we can hear their distinctive calls as they establish their territories and perform their courtship rituals.  Their song isn’t particularly melodious, but it is easy to recognize once you have heard it.  One source describes it as “buzzy zee, zoo, zeedee, zeep.”  Another says it sounds like “bzzzz, layzeee, dayzeee.”  I guess you’ll just have to decide for yourself; my best description is bzzzy,  bzzzy, bzzzy, tzweet.

At any rate, last week I listened and listened as I walked our mountain trails, but I heard no warblers.  Today was another story!  Soon after the dogs and I reached the top of the mountain, I heard one of the males calling.   I waited, but he didn’t come near.  Then I grabbed my phone and pulled up the Audubon app.  It has beautiful images and, even better, recordings of bird songs.  I tried playing a couple of the warbler songs, but no luck.  My bird had other things on its mind.  

I continued my walk, and took the trail from the top into the area we call Warbler Canyon.  Sure enough, only 50 yards or so down the trail, I heard more warbler calls.  Again I pulled out my cell phone and played the first warbler song.  The recording lasts only about 10 seconds, and before it was done, there he was, perched right above me, singing his heart out.  He was sooooo close! 


As is often the case, it was easy to see the bird, but very hard to get a clear shot…especially since I was looking almost straight up and there were leaves and branches in the way.


Then he moved higher up in the tree and looked directly at me.  


I guess I wasn't too scary, because he then gave me some beautiful, clear shots as he continued to sing, warning that other bird to stay out of his territory and away from his lady warbler. 


It was a morning to remember, and I'll be back tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment