Monday, September 9, 2019

Bye-bye Buffalo


Before we left Buffalo, there was one more herding adventure on our schedule.  It didn’t start out that way.  Rue and I got up early to get some photos of the Bighorns in the morning light.  I remembered that the site of the Fetterman Fight on Massacre Hill near Fort Phil Kearny offers good views of the surrounding mountains and valleys. so we took Exit 44 off I 25 north of town and made our way to the monument.  As we approached the monument, we passed several horse trailers and a number of riders on the side of the road.  


As I was walking around and setting up my shot, the riders deployed.  There were a couple of four-wheelers; they headed out to move the cattle on the open prairie. 





I thought they might include this small herd of pronghorns, but they sprinted away over the rise.


The riders fanned out to bring the stock up out of the ravines and brush.


Cattle were coming from every direction.  We watched until most of them were bunched together, then moseyed on home.  I didn’t get that iconic shot of the Bighorns, but this was way better.  I just wish I had been on a horse and part of the action.



The next morning we were off to Custer, South Dakota, for a couple of weeks in the Black Hills.  We will miss Chris and Jan Hanks, Molly and Skye, who have returned home to Florida.


We will also miss Buffalo’s lovely downtown park with its sheep and border collie sculptures; the historic Occidental Hotel


the many beautiful views of Clear Creek and our home-away-from-home, Deer Park Campground.  




But we’ll be back soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment