Friday, March 13, 2020

More Dog Days

This is high season for sheep herding trials, and there are many opportunities to see great teams at work.  Weekend-before-last, I went to Brent Swindall’s place in nearby Gatesville to help out at his sheep dog trial.  Brent is shown here with Spot getting ready for their Nursery run.


I spent two days scribing (keeping time and scores) for the judges of the Open Ranch Trial.  Cody and I aren’t yet practiced enough to compete at that level, but I enjoyed watching the handlers and their dogs at work.  On Saturday, I scribed for Mike Neary, shown here with his dog, Sis, who were competing in the Open Trial.


On Sunday,  I scribed for Russell McCord.  Here is shot of him and his Nursery dog, Sally.


When I wasn’t working (if you could call it work…much too much fun), I was watching runs on the Open course.  The outrun for the dogs to pick up the sheep to pick up their sheep was loooonnnnng.  I’m not sure quite how long, but one of the competitors mentioned 500 yards.  That wouldn’t surprise me.  Take a look at the following pic of Jackie Bludworth’s Kade as he picked up his sheep from the set-out person.  You can hardly see him, much less recognize him.


Here are some other photos I got of folks and their dogs on the Open course.

Jackie and Kade on their way to the post
John Lewis and Hannah preparing to shed
Allen Mills and Zac in the shed ring
Shedding is the activity in which the handler and dog try to separate one or more sheep from their friends.  Sheep like to stick together, so this can be quite challenging.  However, these Open handlers and dogs are experienced at this and work calmly and purposefully to accomplish it.

These are some of the Nursery dogs and their handlers.  These are young dogs less than three years old and just getting started in their herding careers.

Faansie Basson, Ron Enzeroth & Ron Burkey waiting their turns
Mary Bowsher and Jack
Michele McGuire and Twink
Away to me!
Oops!

Sometimes the young dog gets frustrated and resorts to a "grip" to control the sheep.  Sometimes the grip is called for because of the sheep's action, but sometimes it is not, and leads to the dreaded, "Thank you" from the judge, signaling that the run is over.  

Working at one of these trials is an educational experience, as well as lots of fun.  Cody and I will get to participate in trials this weekend, so wish us luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment