Saturday, April 11, 2020

Warbler in the Woods

As John and I and the dogs walked along the top of the mountain yesterday morning, I first heard one of our golden-cheeked warblers singing near the top of the area we call warbler canyon.  I pulled out my cell phone and selected the Audubon app, then dialed up the warbler’s call and played it.  Nothing, no response from my feathered friend.  We walked on.  Finally John said he had work to do and moved on with Kota and Rue.  Cody and I paused, me listening for another warbler and Cody being a good boy and walking quietly beside me.  

The golden-cheeked warbler is a small wood warbler, only about 4 1/2 inches long.   The male has bright gold cheeks, contrasting with a black crown and back and black-and-white on its wings.  It is striking when you’re lucky enough to see one.  The male’s most common call is described as “a buzzy zee, zoo, zeedee, zeep.”  It’s not easy to describe, but distinctive.  

This warbler is endangered, with an estimated population of some 21,000 birds.  It breeds only in a small area of Central Texas from Palo Pinto County southwestward along the eastern and southern edge of the Edwards Plateau to Kinney County.    It is the only bird species that nests entirely in the state of Texas.  It is also unusual in that for nesting it only uses the north-facing slopes of mixed oak-juniper woodlands.  Our farm fortunately has some very good habitat and a healthy warbler population.  Below in the distance is a view of their hillside habitat seen from our back patio.


The males usually arrive the farm in mid-March, and the females soon after.  They raise their families and stay until late July, when they return to their winter habitat in the pine-oak mountain forests of Mexico and northern Central America.  They are most easily located here when they are establishing their territories and nesting.  This is when I try to locate one by its song and try to get a photo.  


As Cody and I neared the area above the rattlesnake den (where we never go, even at this time of year when the snakes have left to forage), I heard another warbler and stopped to call again.  This time, almost immediately I heard a warbler “chip,” the sound they make when investigating something of interest or to warn away intruders.  I looked up, trying to locate him among the branches as he moved quickly from place to place, alternately singing and chipping.  If you look carefully, you may be able to spot him in the upper left corner above, so you'll understand how hard they are to see.


Finally, my quarry showed himself, and gave me a good 10-15 minutes of his time.  It’s not often one stays close for that long, so I felt very blessed.  After numerous shots of bird-among-the-branches, 






he finally settled on a dead branch and gave me a chance to get some images.  I hope you enjoy them, and if you have a chance to visit sometime when we aren’t under quarantine, we’ll take you out so you can see one for yourself.  

Hugs, Blessings and Happy Easter!  

No comments:

Post a Comment