Tuesday, July 26, 2022

On the Road 2022

We are officially ON THE ROAD!  We left early Sunday morning, trying to beat the heat out of Texas.  We crossed the Red River got out of Texas, but not out of the heat. 



Our first night at Roadrunner RV Park in Oklahoma City, was blistering.  The park is a good one-nighter, with concrete pads and grassy yards.  There is even a nice area where the dogs could stretch and do a few ready-gos.  

When we parked, though, it was mid-afternoon and the temperature was well over 100.  More important, the rig was a suffocating 98 degrees inside.  We turned on both A/C units and loaded the dogs in the car for a Walmart run.  It was the closest we could get to being cool, and we were looking for something quick and easy for supper.  


On the way back to the RV park, we were concentrating on finding our way.  The dogs were crowded in the back with the groceries, and I could hear Rue growl a couple of times.  That’s what she does when one of the other dogs crowds her.  Then, first Kota, then Cody, put their paws on the console between us and appeared very agitated, panting and nudging us with their noses.  Silly me, I thought they had smelled the rotisserie chicken and were encouraging us to get home so they could have supper.  I scolded them and told them to get back.  Then we heard it…the faint crinkle of cellophane.  When I turned around to check, I saw Rue standing over the pizza.  When I scolded her, she stepped carefully over it and sat down, gazing out the window as if she knew nothing.  But Kota and Cody knew...and they had tried their best to tell us.  I'm ashamed that I didn't pay more attention.


When we got home, this is what we found.


How Rue managed to open the cardboard box, extract the pizza, unwrap it and eat most of the cheese and all but one pepperoni…all in the space of less than 10 minutes and without making a sound, I’ll never know.  But she did. And she was and remains, unrepentant.


Fortunately our second and third days on the road have been much more pleasant.  Up I-35 to Wichita, then east to just past Topeka, Kansas, we were blessed to have clouds most of the way.  I took my turn at driving.  



And, now I know where all that rain we needed has been going…everything up here is lush, with plenty of hay and grass up to the cows’ bellies in many pastures.  



When we arrived yesterday at Rock Creek Corps of Engineers Park on Perry Lake, it was 73 degrees with a brisk wind blowing across the lake.  Last night, we slept with the windows open for the first time in months.  We have a great site, No. C69, out on the peninsula.



When I took the dogs out early this morning, this is what I saw. 



This is a beautiful park, as is Perry State Park next door.  This doe and her twins had the state park almost to themselves.



We have stayed at Rock Creek before, and will do so again.  Here are a few more pics from our short visit.





We even saw wildflowers!  That's a big change from this year at the farm; we haven't seen any.



It was a great short visit and we look forward to our next visit.





No comments:

Post a Comment