Sunday, August 28, 2022

Buckle Up!

We have finished our second week here in Buffalo.  The temperatures have moderated a bit, with highs approaching 90 in the afternoon, but cool and delightful in the mornings.  We are encouraged that the news from home is positive.  We have received a half-inch of rain at the farm, and more is predicted this week.  

Both John and I and the dogs are getting in shape.  On our walks, we have a hard time keeping up with our four-legged companions, and I have to resort to “steady” and “wait” commands from time to time so we can catch up.  


Sheep dog work has begun in earnest.  The boys and I have had several sessions with Wendy Auzqui, as well as a practice session at Linda Lulias’ place.  We were all a little rusty at first, but are getting back in sync.  



I met Wendy in 2015 when we first visited Wyoming.  We were staying in Sheridan, and I was looking for someone to help me train Rue in herding.  I have worked with her every summer that we have been in this area.  Wendy is a wonderful resource and I am happy to have her as a friend.  Her good dog, Frank, was helping to set out and hold sheep for us this week.  He has earned numerous awards in both sheep and cattle herding, and is clearly a no-nonsense guy. Frank and Cody share a common bloodline, Juan Reyes' J.R. Red, who gave them their blue eyes and a lot more.




In 2019, Frank and Wendy won the sheepdog competition at the Calgary Stampede.  Then, earlier this year, Wendy again took first place with Quirt, another of her dogs, and she and Frank took home fifth place.  I always enjoy our sessions, and Wendy, Cody and Bo are teaching me a lot.  Technically, we are training dogs, but I think we’re really training the handler.  


Here are some photos of our work this week.









We ended this week on a high note…a really high note!  On Saturday, Cody, Bo and I participated in the Dick Grabow Memorial Sheepdog Trial during the Sheepherders Rendezvous in Glenrock, Wyoming.  The sheep were fresh range ewes, and there were enough so that each sheep ran only one time.  It was a different experience for the dogs and me from the sheep we usually work back home.  These ewes were tough, and a challenge for the dogs to handle.  Both Bo and Cody did very well, though, thanks to practice earlier in the week on similar stock.  The course had a 5 minute time limit, and Bo penned his sheep in less than 4 minutes.  Cody, however, outshined them all.  We completed the course successfully in, I believe, 1 minute, 30 seconds to win the championship. buckle.  




This was Cody’s and my first win, and we placed above 31 other very talented dogs.  Among them were last year’s champions, Linda Lulias and her good dog, Gill, as well as Wendy Auzqui and Quirt, who won the championship at the Calgary Stampede a few weeks ago. It is humbling to be in such good company.


I am grateful not only to my dogs, but to so many people who were a big part of our journey.  First, to John, who has supported me wholeheartedly in my sheepdog obsession, and who loves our pack members as much as I do.  Thanks also to Jo Woodbury, who allowed me to purchase this enthusiastic, hard-working, honest dog three years ago, as well as to Wendy Auzqui who found him for me, and who has been instrumental in helping me to learn how to run him.  I’m also grateful to coaches and mentors Jack Christensen, Michele McGuire and Allen Mills for sharing their wisdom and support, and to Linda Lulias, who has helped me to learn the ins and outs of working these range woolies.  Last, but certainly not least, I’m grateful to Charlie Castelein and the Castelein family and to the Grabow family for allowing me to participate in this trial.  I look forward to returning next year.  John and I also enjoyed meeting many nice folks at this year’s Sheepherders Rendezvous in Glenrock, Wyoming.  We had a great time, and we appreciate the hospitality of the Shoreliner Bar and Grill that treated me to dinner after the trial.  


But Cody wasn't the only winner on Saturday.  Bo worked hard as well, and penned his sheep in a very respectable 3 minutes, 46 seconds.  He is like handling a sports car.  Everything happens in double or triple time.  I have a lot to learn to be able to handle him well, but I look forward to the challenge.  Here are some shots of Bo's run.







I'm so proud of both my boys; they gave me their very best.  It was a great day!  



1 comment:

  1. So fun to see how far you have come with your dogs. Its been super fun helping you. And happy to call you my friend. So proud of your progress!!!!!

    ReplyDelete