Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Hunting and Fishing

We have had a great first week here in Custer.  We spent some time visiting with Pat and Mike, fellow RVers who summer here.  When we arrived we were surprised and pleased to find Dale and Mark parked at Pat and Mike’s place, along with Gregg.  It was great to catch up on all their news.  (Both Dale and Mark’s truck, Red Rover, and Gregg’s truck have recently had new paint jobs, and look fantastic!)  We also renewed acquaintances at Crossroads Church.  

We have also walked familiar trails in the forest adjacent to the campground.  Kota and Colt have gotten reacquainted with their packs, and Rue has learned to carry hers.  Of course, as a youngster we don’t expect her to carry any weight, just to learn to hike with an empty pack and to obey the command, “Trail.”  That means the dogs are to stay on the trail and not to go exploring in the forest.  As insurance, we reinforce our commands to Rue when necessary with the “magic collar” that delivers a little tingle to get her attention.

Early Monday afternoon John and I left to dogs at home and went fishing in the Grace Coolidge area of Custer State Park.  A beautiful stream runs through this area, and there are several small lakes well-stocked with trout where we love to fish.  

John was practicing his fly fishing, and I had an ample supply of power bait and fake worms.  For the first time in all our years of fishing, I was the one who “scored,” catching  a limit of five trout to John’s none!  I don’t expect that to happen again, so I’m gloating while I can.

I caught one here...
two here...
and two here!
Our first real adventure happened late on Monday afternoon.  After returning with our trout, we took the dogs to the meadow at the edge of the forest to run off-leash without their packs (and to come back when called).  Rue’s recall has gotten much better since we left Austin, and she now comes running back when we call, “Here.”  That is, she did until they saw the deer.  Colt called off right away and came running back.  (September 9 is his two-year adoption anniversary, so maybe he was on his best behavior.)  However, Rue and Kota saw that deer’s white “flag” and were off in hot pursuit in an instant, yipping frantically and ignoring our calls and whistles.  I'm sure Kota was remembering fondly that day a couple of years ago when she, Nickie and Lucky Dog brought down their own buck at the farm.  

After waiting for a few minutes for them to return, John and I split up and went to find them.  It was getting near sunset by then, and there are thousands of acres of forest.  As it got later, we were getting more and more concerned.  After about 30 minutes, Rue finally responded to John’s whistle and came back to find him.  However, there was no sign of Kota.  It was getting dark and we returned to camp since we had no idea where she was.  We just hoped that she could find her way home. 

After another 30-45 minutes, she ambled up, tired and dirty but very happy.  I don’t know how far she ran after the deer, but I’m sure she knew where she was the entire time.  She just came home when it was time to go inside to bed.  To say we were relieved is a gross understatement.

On Tuesday we cleaned the carpets in our coach, washed dogs at Custer’s do-it-yourself dog wash, and visited Boyd’s World Famous Antiques.  We have been intrigued by Boyd’s for the past two years, but somehow had never stopped.  It’s an experience, though.  V. H. Boyd has almost everything you might ever think you wanted.  There isn’t any antique furniture, but lots of other fascinating stuff, even an entire bin of bathtub feet.

Boyd isn’t at all concerned with political correctness.

However, if you need horse tack, bear traps, rides for your children, or almost any animal for your “yard art,” Boyd’s is the place to go.

Inside there are signs everywhere with sage advice, political commentary and other observations.

There is even a resident donkey that was taking his afternoon nap when we visited.  

John even came away with two large rolls of harvester drive belts which he will use for a  shooting range backstop.  It was a very good day.  

And then, today, we celebrated Colt's seventh birthday.  The dogs had bones in honor of the occasion and he got the best one.  He's a happy boy.


  1. I've read and enjoyed all of your posts. Wonder if the deer got away. So glad you won the fishing derby - or at least the 1 day. Your shots of the coyote are wonderful and you're right. She looks really healthy - not the typical image you expect.

    Keep on trucking and enjoying!

    1. Well, I assume it got away. At least neither of them returned with bloody whiskers or a deer "souvenir!"