Friday, September 4, 2020

Memory Lane

Memory Lane is a long and winding road.  Those of you who know me well understand that I’m a bit of a packrat, and a sentimental one at that.  So, you won’t be surprised to learn that this “decrapifying” prior to moving is quite a chore.  Last week, I went through several dusty boxes that have followed me for many years…all the way from elementary school, through high school, college, marriages and motherhood, vacations…almost to the present. And along with them there were even more boxes of photos and memorabilia that I inherited from my mother.   

Much of what is in those boxes will find its way to the dumpster, but not before I’ve looked at each piece, remembered the good times and the bad, and chosen a few special treasures to take to the farm with me.  Here are a few photos from the early years:


On the left, my daddy, Robert Sanders (Bob) Jones, shown with several of his buddies on a post-high-school graduation trip (circa 1925)


Me as a toddler with Daddy



and with my mother, Evelyn Cash Jones


Don’t know if I’ve been this dressed up since, but wasn’t I adorable!


Me with my brother, Charles Allan Jones, and “Little Charles,” the puppy that was supposed to make me forget I wasn’t happy about having a little brother.  (I reportedly said I would rather have a pony than a little brother, but I guess Mother and Daddy thought a puppy was a better choice)


Me in my cowgirl finery riding the wooden horse that Daddy and Dr. Bob West made for me when I was 5.  (Allan still doesn’t especially like horses.)



Me with Terry, successor to Little Charles and the third in a long line of good dogs that have graced and enriched my life.


And here I am with my cousin Frances.  She is five years older than I, and I was always in awe of her and her more grown-up friends (and boyfriends!)

Memory Lane stretches forward, and there are more boxes and photo albums to explore.  I'll share the journey as I travel down the path.



















No comments:

Post a Comment