Saturday, August 10, 2013

Girlfriends' Get-together 2 -- Washington


In celebration of Eugenia’s retirement in August of last year, we had planned a two-week Girlfriends’ Getaway this spring.  So, when Eugenia flew back to Washington, D.C., I went with her.  Here is Pearl, one of George and Eugenia's four cats, all curled up on the bed to welcome me. When she is still she almost becomes part of the pattern.

I have been to Washington on several occasions, but there is always more to see and do than we can accomplish.  This trip, I wanted to make a special trip to Arlington National Cemetery to pay my respects to two friends, Maj. Tom O’Brien and Col. Charles (Doug) Cochran, whose interment ceremonies I was unable to attend.  


A visit to Arlington is a sobering and awe-inspiring occasion.  The changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns is especially moving.  The inscription on the monument reads, “HERE RESTS IN HONORED GLORY AN AMERICAN SOLDIER KNOWN BUT TO GOD.”  No one can attend and not be deeply touched by his sacrifice and that of all the others who rest here.

Though Arlington was in its "winter colors,"  it was still beautiful.   The tulip trees were beginning to bloom, and the grass was replacing brown with green.  






My stay in Washington was not without sadness, however.  On March 30, George’s mother, Gladys Burkes, died of a massive heart attack.  She was a lovely and gracious lady and I was privileged to know her.  I'm sure George and Eugenia miss her.










No comments:

Post a Comment